What is trapezium?
Trapezium is a polygon or a flat shape which has four sides. The two side of the polygon is parallel and it is also considered as a form of quadrilateral.
Area of Trapezium
Area = 12 x Sum of parallel sides × Distance between them.
Area of trapezium: – 12 x (a + b) × h square units.
“a” and “b” are the bases
“h” is the altitude or height
Perimeter of Trapezium
The perimeter of a trapezium is found by adding all the sides.
P = a + b + c + d units
“a, b, c, d” are the sides of the trapezium
Types of Trapezium
There are three types of trapezium:
Right Trapezium – A right trapezium has at least two right angles
Isosceles trapezium – The legs or the non-parallel sides of the trapezium are of equal length
Scalene Trapezium – A trapezium with all the sides and angles of different measures
Basic concept behind the Trapezium
• The set of the parallel lines in a trapezium is referred to as the base of the trapezium and other two non-parallel sides are known as the legs of that trapezium.
• The mid-segment in a trapezium is the mid-point of the non-parallel side in the trapezium.
• If we bisect the non-parallel line of the trapezium from its mid-point then trapezium will not divide in two equal part.
• The bases of the trapezium are parallel to each other (PQ || RS).
• No sides, angles and diagonals are congruent.
Mid-segment = (AB+ CD)/2
Mid-segment = (Sum of parallel sides)2
Mid-segment = (PQ + RS)2
Where PQ and RS are the parallel sides
• The sum of the interior angles of the trapezium is equal to 360 degrees. i.e.,
∠P + ∠Q + ∠R + ∠S = 360°
If you have any doubts related to this topic, you ask into the comment. If you have any problem in mathematics you can post your problem in the comment section. You will get the answer.
I hope you have learned it properly.